Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Bald Butterfly

Egg Butterfly



I made this lunch for Sheu today. I forgot to put antennae on the butterfly! It looks bald, haha. You can click the photo for a closer view.

Top: Ham-swiss-mustard rolls on sea animal picks, cucumber slices, carrot flowers, mango and kiwi.

Bottom: Bed of veggie fried rice leftover from Thai restaurant; butterfly made of boiled egg, carrot, and nori; branch made of haricot verts.

Sorry to report that the butterfly didn't survive the commute to Sheu's office. When I IM'd to ask him if the butterfly was still intact, he IM'd back, "The egg? I see some egg on one side and some green beans in the corner." I need to learn how to make my bentos jostle-proof!

3 Comments:

At February 8, 2007 at 12:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So cute!!! Too bad he didn't make it...

in my kid's bento recipe book, it looks like things like that are always pressed into a rice (or similar) base that is actually all the way up to the top. So the pressure of the lid on the rice is actually holding everything in place. Does that make sense? Might be worth a try.

Poor bald butterfly....

 
At February 8, 2007 at 6:28 PM, Blogger Leslee said...

You have a kid's bento recipe book?? What's it called and where can I get it?!

The idea of putting in more rice and placing the design closer to the top DID occur to me -- AFTER I found out the butterfly had flown. I'll definitely try that next time.

 
At October 23, 2008 at 11:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

That butterfly is amazing it looks so perfect! what a shame it didn't survive the trip.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home