Monday, August 4, 2008

Zucchini Pancake

Bento  08/04/08

This one was for me! Left: Zucchini & onion pancake leftover from dinner, salad with cucumbers, carrots and tomatoes. Right: Dark chocolate covered almonds from Trader Joe's, more cucumber slices, a bottle of salad dressing, and some plum wedges.

The little oval plastic container is a sauce container that came with some spring rolls that I bought at Ralph's when we were in San Diego last month. It's the perfect size to fit in my bento box! It even has a little lid, not pictured here. I only have this one so I'm going to try to take good care of it -- hopefully it will last for many lunches.

The zucchini, cucumbers, and tomatoes are from my boss's garden -- he brought a lot of vegetables to share at work. We also have zucchini from my in-law's garden. Fresh homegrown veggies, yay! The two spicy basil leaves (on the cucumber) are from my own little herb garden.

2 Comments:

At August 4, 2008 at 8:21 PM, Blogger beastmomma said...

Could you post a recipe for the zucchini pancake? It looks yummy.

 
At August 11, 2008 at 6:06 PM, Blogger Leslee said...

I don't really have a recipe, because these were an experiment! I took bits from various zucchini pancake recipes. Basically, I shredded about 2 cups of zucchini in my food processor. Then I tried to soak as much moisture as possible from the zucchini by wrapping it in a kitchen cloth. Then I put it in a bowl with 2 eggs, half of an onion (diced), about 2 tablespoons of flour and some garlic and herbs. I threw in some leftover grated cheese, too. Then I fried the batter like a pancake (but they took much longer to cook than a pancake.)

My "batter" was pretty watery, so I probably didn't get enough moisture out of the zucchini. It still cooked up fine. Some recipes use a lot more flour, so theirs are more like a real pancake texture. Mine are more like a zucchini omelete than a zucchini pancake, to be honest!

Anyway, if you Google it, you'll probably find many better recipes than mine! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home